Document details

Groundwater quality, vulnerability and potential assessment in Kobo Valley development project, Ethiopia

Author(s): Belay, Fesseha Fentahun

Date: 2015

Persistent ID: http://hdl.handle.net/10362/14552

Origin: Repositório Institucional da UNL

Subject(s): WQI; GOD Rating System; Vulnerability; Geostatistical Method; Weighted Arithmetic Mean; Aquifer Potential; Spatial Variability; Weighted Overlay Analysis


Description

This study deals with investigating the groundwater quality for irrigation purpose, the vulnerability of the aquifer system to pollution and also the aquifer potential for sustainable water resources development in Kobo Valley development project. The groundwater quality is evaluated up on predicting the best possible distribution of hydrogeochemicals using geostatistical method and comparing them with the water quality guidelines given for the purpose of irrigation. The hydro geochemical parameters considered are SAR, EC, TDS, Cl-, Na+, Ca++, SO4 2- and HCO3 -. The spatial variability map reveals that these parameters falls under safe, moderate and severe or increasing problems. In order to present it clearly, the aggregated Water Quality Index (WQI) map is constructed using Weighted Arithmetic Mean method. It is found that Kobo-Gerbi sub basin is suffered from bad water quality for the irrigation purpose. Waja Golesha sub-basin has moderate and Hormat Golena is the better sub basin in terms of water quality. The groundwater vulnerability assessment of the study area is made using the GOD rating system. It is found that the whole area is experiencing moderate to high risk of vulnerability and it is a good warning for proper management of the resource. The high risks of vulnerability are noticed in Hormat Golena and Waja Golesha sub basins. The aquifer potential of the study area is obtained using weighted overlay analysis and 73.3% of the total area is a good site for future water well development. The rest 26.7% of the area is not considered as a good site for spotting groundwater wells. Most of this area fall under Kobo-Gerbi sub basin.

Document Type Master thesis
Language English
Advisor(s) Costa, Ana Cristina; Mateu, Jorge; Ribeiro, Sara
Contributor(s) Belay, Fesseha Fentahun
facebook logo  linkedin logo  twitter logo 
mendeley logo

Related documents

No related documents